Pasta with eggplant sauce
Pasta with eggplant sauce is a very simple main dish, prepared with fresh ingredients: eggplant, tomatoes and basil.
1 small eggplant
1 small onion
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
5/6 cup vegetable broth
10 1/2 oz tomato puree
6 basil leaves
5 3/4 oz pasta
- Wash the eggplant and cut it into cubes of half inch. Put them in a colander, sprinkle with a pinch of salt, mix and let them rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile peel the onion, chop finely and place in a large pan with the oil and gently brown it with a pinch of salt and few tablespoons of hot vegetable stock.
- Increase heat, add the eggplant and cook for about 5 minutes, until they are pretty soft.
- Combine the tomato sauce, washed and chopped basil leaves, and continue cooking over low heat, covered, for 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has reduced according to your own personal taste.
- When it’s ready taste it and add the salt.
- Boil the pasta in plenty of salted water and just before draining add a ladle of cooking water into the pan containing the sauce, then turn on the fire.
- Pour the drained pasta into the sauce pan over high heat for a few seconds, stirring frequently.